Umpires informed Mathews of timed-out threat before helmet malfunction

Umpires informed Mathews of timed-out threat before helmet malfunction

ESPNcricinfo learned that as soon as Mathews, who replaced Sadeera Samarawickrama, entered the field, Richard Illingworth, one of the on-field umpires, told him that he had 30 seconds left to be ready to face the bowler.
Finally, with a broken chin strap on his helmet also causing a delay, Mathews was not ready to face within the stipulated two minutes and consequently became the first international batsman to receive a time-out. Immediately after Sri Lanka’s defeat, Mathews said that he had done nothing “wrong” and suggested that the match referees could have used “common sense” to explain the team’s malfunction.

The ICC playing conditions for World Cups stipulate that the new batsman must be ready to face the bowler within two minutes of the fall of the previous wicket. Within those two minutes, the batter must be ready to face the ball and not simply have taken guard. As per protocol, the TV umpire starts the stopwatch immediately after the fall of the previous wicket.

Mathews came to bat Monday night one minute and 10 seconds after Samarawickrama was caught. He walked to the crease and met non-striker Charith Asalanka near the batting crease, exchanging a quick word and a glove tap, after Illingworth told him he had 30 seconds left.

Approximately one minute and 55 seconds had passed since the dismissal and Mathews had not yet taken guard. While he was adjusting the chin strap, it fell out of his hand.

Instead of informing the on-field umpires (Marais Erasmus on the bowler’s side and Illingworth on the square side), Mathews was seen signaling to the Sri Lankan dugout to ask for a replacement helmet. The rule is for a player to inform the referees on the field before searching for replacement equipment, as a matter of respect but also to ensure that the match officials can manage time.

By the time Mathews got a new helmet, almost two and a half minutes had passed since the wicket fell. At that time, Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan, who was bowling at the time, urged on by an unnamed teammate, appealed to Erasmus. As per protocol, Erasmus ruled out Mathews, although he had consulted with Shakib whether he wanted to go ahead with the appeal.

Mathews pleaded and argued that he could not be ready to face Shakib due to his helmet malfunction. And after the game he expanded on it, arguing that it was a safety issue, which he couldn’t have coped with without a new helmet.

Both Erasmus and Illingworth were informed by Nitin Menon, the television referee, when the two minutes had elapsed. According to protocol, referees on the field only note that time has passed without enforcing the timeout rule unless the field captain appeals. The referees do not tell the field team how much time has passed.

Mathews has suggested that what happens after the leash is released, which occurs shortly before the two minutes are up, should be treated as a separate delay due to equipment malfunction, and not as part of the time he needed to prepare to receive the ball, seen. facing an expired dismissal.