T20 World Cup 2024: Ricky Ponting consolidates this position for Virat Kohli

Virat Kohli and Ricky Ponting

Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting backed former India captain Virat Kohli to open India’s innings in the ICC T20 World Cup 2024.

Virat Kohli is currently in sensational form in the 2024 Indian Premier League season for Royal Challengers Bengaluru as an opening batsman. He has been pairing up with captain Faf du Plessis and the duo has done wonders for the team, especially in the second half of the season where RCB are yet to lose a match.

In the first half of IPL 2024, RCB were down and eliminated but the way they staged their comeback was fantastic. Virat Kohli is largely responsible for the change, as he was the only batsman in the team who got runs consistently.

His form and motivational words helped the Bengaluru team take an extraordinary turnaround and reach the playoffs in the most exciting way.

What did Ricky Ponting say about Virat Kohli’s position in the ICC T20 World Cup 2024?

While speaking to the premier international cricket body, ICC, Ricky Ponting stated that the Indian team management has a job to carry out. Ponting, who head coached the Delhi Capitals in IPL 2024, stated that if the Men in Blue are missing anything in his team, then it is the left-handed count.

Ricky Ponting thinks that Rahul Dravid and co. They will have to make a big decision on whether they want to see Yashasvi Jaiswal open with Rohit Sharma. But despite this headache, Ponting stated that he would back Virat Kohli to open for the Indian skipper. In fact, Punter was “pretty confident” about Kohli appearing at the top of the order.

“They [selectors] I am yet to make a decision because (Yashasvi) Jaiswal is in that team and one thing they don’t have much in their team is left-handed batsmen. So they have to make a decision with Jaiswal, but I am pretty sure they will go with Kohli and Rohit Sharma. [as openers]”- said Ponting via ICC.com.

Ponting picks Kohli as his first choice in India starting XI

Ricky Ponting then criticized Indian fans for always trying to write off Virat Kohli and finding a reason not to select him because of his T20 play. However, for the three-time 50-over World Cup winner, Kohli will be the first choice in India’s playing eleven after captain Rohit Sharma.

Ponting believes Kohli can play a similar role for India as he plays for RCB as an opening batsman. The DC head coach concluded by saying that if the batsmen around Kohli (Rohit, Surya and Hardik Pandya among others) can increase their strike rate, then he will be the icing on the cake.

“It’s funny with Virat. I think people in India always try to find a reason not to pick him or a reason why maybe he’s not as good as some of these other guys in the T20 game.”

“He is my first choice for India. He can play his role at the top. And if you have the right guys around him scoring, Suryakumar, Rohit Sharma will have a high goal rate. These other guys can go there and play at their manner”. – concluded Ricky Ponting.