Home Cricket Facts T20 World Cup 2024: Sanju Samson gets 100% backing to replace Virat Kohli at No. 3 in India’s playing XI

T20 World Cup 2024: Sanju Samson gets 100% backing to replace Virat Kohli at No. 3 in India’s playing XI

T20 World Cup 2024: Sanju Samson gets 100% backing to replace Virat Kohli at No. 3 in India’s playing XI

Former Indian National Cricket Team bowler RP Singh has extended his full backing to star batsman and wicketkeeper Sanju Samson to replace batting superstar Virat Kohli at the number 3 position in the playing XI during the upcoming ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024. which will be co-hosted by the USA and the West Indies.

Virat Kohli is the leading run-getter in the history of T20I cricket as he has scored 4037 runs in 117 matches at an astonishing average of 51.75 and strike rate of 138.15, with 1 ton and 37 fifties.

Kohli has batted from the number 1 to number 6 position for the Indian national cricket team, but most of his runs have come in the number 3 position. In that position, Virat Kohli has scored 3076 runs at an average of 53.96 and a strike rate of 135.26.

Despite Kohli’s fantastic statistics for India at No. 3, there have been calls for a change in his batting position and the reason behind this has been the batting maestro’s performance in the recently concluded Indian Premier League 2024 (IPL 2024).

In the recently concluded IPL, where KKR emerged winners, Virat Kohli finished as the leading run-getter and won the orange cap for his heroics for the second time in his career. In just 15 innings, Virat Kohli amassed 741 runs at an astonishing strike rate of 154.69.

Along with Kohli, India have Rohit Sharma and Yashasvi Jaiswal as starting options in the team, and the Indian captain is guaranteed a place at the top, so the battle for the second position will be between Kohli and Jaiswal.

The only thing going in Jaiswal’s favor is that he offers a left-footed option up top that will benefit the team. The Indian team management will have a big headache in finishing the second opening match once the World Cup begins and ahead of the competition, RP Singh has given some suggestions to Rohit Sharma and Rahul Dravid that can help them to make the decision.

If you ask me, I would like Virat Kohli to open with Rohit Sharma – RP Singh

In a recent interaction, RP Singh stated that Virat Kohli should open the innings for the Indian national cricket team with Rohit Sharma and Sanju Samson should take Kohli’s number 3 position.

“If you ask me, then I would like Virat Kohli to open with Rohit Sharma. Sanju Samson should bat at number 3. 100 per cent. Both of them can play like in the XI. You can play Suryakumar Yadav at 4, Rishabh Pant at Number 5 and Hardik Pandya at number 6. It also depends on the team combination. The captain and the coach should take the coach. We need that lineup,” RP Singh told IndiaToday.in in an exclusive chat in New Delhi. .

Notably, the dream opening pair of batting greats Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli has only been witnessed once by T20I cricket fans. In 2021, Kohli and Rohit opened the innings against the England national cricket team and put together an impressive 94-run partnership.

During the same interaction, RP Singh also spoke about Hardik Pandya, who has been struggling both on and off the field in the last few months. Things got tough for Hardik Pandya after he took over the leadership of Mumbai Indians from Rohit Sharma as the fans did not accept him and he was loudly booed on the ground. Off the field there are rumors of divorce between Hardik Pandya and his wife Nataša Stanković.

Amid all-rounder Hardik Pandya’s struggles, RP Singh backed him saying that the star player has shown commitment and his performance will be crucial for India’s success.

“What is important as a player? Your commitment and your performances. He did his best even in the IPL. He played four overs. That is very important. Hardik Pandya’s performance will be crucial, especially when it comes to the balance of the team. If he finds a good form early on, it will help the team,” RP Singh said.